Now on PBS
Playlist: Show number 196 The Afterglow Radio Show
Artist | Track/Song Name | Album Title | Label/Distributor | Comments
Song / Artist / Album
1. Everybody loves the sunshine / Roy Ayers
2. Something / Snarky Puppy with Lalah Hathaway / Family Dinner Vol 1
3. Sweet Thing / Chaka Khan
4. Mr Perfect / Tina Bryant
5. The Let Your Hair Down Girls / Abuja Death Cab (Now. Hear. This. feat Northside Records the "Let your hair down 45" launch" at the Toff, Tues 31st Jan)
Thanks to Mountain Goat - Live from Studio 5 Flyying Colours
6. Long Holiday
7. Running late
9. Not today
10. White Light White Heat / The Velvet Underground
11. Ubu / Methel Ethel / Everything is forgotten (due 3rd March) Howler 23rd Feb - final release tickets announced today - SOLD OUT
11. Susanne Monday / Morning Harvey
12. Aint no easy way / Black Rebel Motorcycle Club / Howl
13. Brisbane / Closet Straights (Wed 25th Jan Survival Day Benefit Concert for the Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency
14. Song for Zula / Phosphorescent / Muchacho (2013)
15. Heavy Heart / You am I
16. You gotta give me something / Jacky Winter / The Nails EP
17. Message for the Future / Lost Animal / You Yangs (Corner Hotel Fri 03 Feb. LOST ANIMAL (You Yang album tour). Guests: Nun + Leah Senior)
18. I give you power / Arcade Fire feat Mavis Staples
19. Butterfly / Talvin Singh / OK
20. The sea of core experience / Single Gun Theory / Flow River from my soul
21. Exodus / The Skatalites (Giveaway to Ska BBQ)
22. Today it snowed / Positive Force
Wednesday 25 January 2017
Flyying Colours make reverb drenched pop music that echoes sounds of shoegaze, postpunk and psychedelia.
They began life bunkered down in a sharehouse / clubhouse in Melbournes inner north, playing shows week in week out in Melbourne’s burgeoning indie clubs. But from the release of their very first single “Wavygravy” in 2013 things went global immediately. Wavygravy and its filmclcip was picked up by a zillion sites and before too long the international music industry came calling.
Their first self-titled EP came out on Club ac30 in the UK/Europe and on Shellife in the US. In 2015 they signed to Island Records for Australia and Vinyl Junkie for Japan and released their second EP “ROYGBIV”. With its tone-bending guitars, ferocious bass hooks and the familiar soft hush of early 90s dueting vocals, “ROYGBIV” beautifully captured their audiences’ imagination.
The launch tour took in Australia, UK, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic and Spain and included appearances at The Great Escape festival (UK) and Prima Vera Sound Festival (Spain). Back at home they supported Johnny Marr and A Place To Bury Strangers on their national tours as well as Brian Jonestown Massacre and We Are Scientists.
Early 2016 saw Flyying Colours knuckle down in the studio to complete their most ambitious recordings yet for the debut album “Mindfullness” featuring the singles “It’s Tomorrow Now” and “Long Holiday”.
Currently on an international tour they have just completed a month in UK / Europe and are in the middle of fortnight in China. Taking in a stack of cities from Beijing to Shanghai, the tour will include a performance at Chinas largest indie music festival MIDI music festival in Shaoxing. So they’ll be especially match fit for their album launch shows in Australia. Considering how blistering they are live normally, this should be a sight to behold.
Listen back to The Afterglow on Wednesday 25 January for a live set from Flyying Colours. Studio 5 Live is proudly brought to you by Mountain Goat.